Latest Posts

DIY Tinted/Colored Glass Jars

By 2:15 PM , , ,



For my daughter's 1st birthday party we did a rainbow color theme that turned out perfect. For one of the decorations I tinted/colored 6 glass jars, each a color of the rainbow, and used them to hold items like utensils, straws, marshmallow pops, chocolate covered pretzel sticks, etc...

I followed the steps from a pin I found on Pinterest (you can find it here).

My directions:

What you will need:
~Any type of glass jar (I reused spaghetti sauce jars, salsa jars, & even Peperoncini jars!)
~Mod Podge (I used the matte finish, and I'm honestly not sure if the finish type makes a difference)
~Food coloring (I used Wilton Icing Colors that I found at Walmart. Worked GREAT)
~Paper plates (one for each jar)
~Popsicle sticks

Instructions:
1) Pour the mod podge directly into the jar you are wanting to color. I used about an 1/8 - 1/4 of a cup of mod podge per jar, depending on its size.

2) Mix in the food dye to the jar & mod podge, making sure to stir the color in evenly, or else your jar will come out different shades if it's not mixed completely.

3) Start rolling the jar to allow the mod podge to cover the inside of the jar completely

4) Once the jar is completely covered, place it on paper plate upside down to allow the remaining mod podge to come out. Let it stay that way for at least an hour, if not a bit longer.

5) After all of the remaining mod podge has dripped out of the jar, flip the jar over and let air dry for 24-48 hours.

Viola! You have colored jars! So easy and pretty. :)

Set upside down to let the extra mod podge come out

Turned right side up to let air dry!

Almost all dry

Dry! The colors turned out PERFECT!
 
Here you can kind of see what I did with them at the party. :)

Hope you all enjoyed this little tutorial (my first one, and I didn't plan on posting it to my blog until after the fact, so my pictures are lacking, sorry). If you make some, please share your jars! :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments